ORGANIZATION AND ADMINISTRATION OF THE EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM
THE PUBLIC educational system of Transjordan is largely a development of the period between the two World Wars. Before the First World War, the Turks had no more than a handful of elementary schools of five grades for boys in the larger towns. No school for girls existed. Transjordan was at that time an outlying part of the vilayet of Damascus and as such received even less attention in the matter of education than the neglected vilayets of the Ottoman Empire.
With the rise of the amirate of Transjordan in 1921, there gradually developed a small school system which now comprises 73 schools and 9,874 pupils. Nine of the schools are for girls, all elementary, with 1,956 pupils; 1 is a technical school for boys; and 4 schools are for boys, combining secondary with elementary classes. The rest are elementary town and village schools for boys.
The public educational system of Transjordan is administered by the Ministry of Education, which is charged with the direction, supervision, and inspection of all government schools, and with the supervision and inspection of nongovernment schools. The Minister is a member of the Cabinet. He is assisted by a Director General of Education who is the executive head of the public-school system. Under the Director General are three district inspectors, one of whom has the tank of senior inspector. These inspectors correspond to the three districts of 'Ajlun, Balqa (in which ' Amman is situated), and the combined southern districts of Karak and Ma'an. Although assigned to these three districts, the inspectors actually have their headquarters at the capital, ' Amman. They are charged with inspecting the public and private elementary schools of their districts and share among themselves the inspection of secondary schools, each taking certain