THE exposed flying buttresses at Notre-Dame in Paris did not influence the structure of the interior. The system of the choir was applied, almost without change, to the nave, and the same was done wherever this new member was added to earlier buildings in order to improve their stability, for instance at St Germain-des-Prés in Paris, at St Remi in Reims, at Notre-Dame-en-Vaux at Châlons-sur-Marne, and in the nave at Laon.1
The master who rebuilt the cathedral at Chartres after the fire of 10 June 1194 was the first man to draw the logical consequences from the construction of flying buttresses (Plate 29 and Figure 25). He eliminated the galleries, which were no longer required to bear the thrust of the vaults. Once this was done, the roofs over the aisles could stand immediately above the vaults of the aisles and the silk of the clerestory windows could be lowered far below the level of the springing of the main vault.2 These windows could also be enlarged upwards and sideways, as the clerestory walls seemed to be relieved of their load.