REVELATION given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, during a special conference of Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter- day Saints, held at Hiram, Ohio, November 1, 1831. Many revelations had been received from the Lord prior to this time; and the compilation of these for publication in book form was one of the principal subjects passed upon at the conference. See History of the Church, vol. 1, page 222. This Section constitutes the Lord's Preface to the doctrines, covenants, and commandments given in this dispensation. ----- Proclamation of warning and commandment to the Church and to the inhabitants of the earth at large--The authority of the Priesthood in this dispensation attested--Second advent of the Lord Jesus Christ foretold--Authenticity of the Book of Mormon affirmed.
1. Hearken, O ye people of a,my church, saith the voice of him who dwells on high, and whose eyes are upon all men; yea, verily I say: Hearken ye people from afar; and ye that are upon the islands of the sea, listen together.
2. For verily the voice of the Lord is unto b,all men, and there is none to escape; and there is no eye that shall not see, neither ear that shall not hear, neither heart, that shall not be penetrated.
3. And the rebellious shall be pierced with much sorrow; for their iniquities shall be spoken upon the housetops, and their secret acts shall be revealed.
4. And the voice of warning shall be unto all people, by the mouths of my disciples, whom I have chosen in these last days.
5. And they shall go forth and none shall stay them, for I the Lord have commanded them.
6. Behold, this is mine authority, and the c,authority of my servants, and my preface unto the book of my commandments, which I have given them to publish unto you, O inhabitants of the earth.
7. Wherefore, fear and tremble, O ye people, for what I the Lord have decreed in them shall be fulfilled.____________________