AN EXTRACT FROM A TRANSLATION OF THE BIBLE
Being the twenty-fourth chapter of Matthew, commencing with the last verse of the twenty-third chapter, King James' Version.
1. For I say unto you, that ye shall not see me henceforth and know that I am he of whom it is written by the prophets, until ye shall say: Blessed is he who cometh in the name of the Lord, in the clouds of heaven, and all the holy angels with him. Then understood his disciples that he should come again on the earth, after that he was glorified and crowned on the right hand of God.
2. And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple; and his disciples came to him, for to hear him, saying: Master, show us concerning the buildings of the temple, as thou hast said--They shall be thrown down, and left unto you desolate.
3. And Jesus said unto them: See ye not all these things, and do ye not understand them? Verily I say unto you, there shall not be left here, upon this temple, one stone upon another that shall not be thrown down.
4. And Jesus left them, and went upon the Mount of Olives. And as he sat upon the Mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying: Tell us when shall these things be which thou hast said concerning the destruction of the temple, and the Jews; and what is the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world, or the destruction of the wicked, which is the end of the world?
5. And Jesus answered, and said unto them: Take heed that no man deceive you;
6. For many shall come in my name, saying--I am Christ--and shall deceive many;
7. Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you, and ye shall be hated of all nations, for my name's sake;
8. And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another;
9. And many false prophets shall arise, and shall deceive many;
10. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold;
11. But he that remaineth steadfast and is not overcome, the same shall be saved.
12. When you, therefore, shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, concerning the destruction of Jerusalem, then you shall stand in the holy place; whoso readeth let him understand.
13. Then let them who are in Judea flee into the mountains;
14. Let him who is on the housetop flee, and not return to take anything out of his house;
15. Neither let him who is in the field return back to take his clothes;