UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT CHICAGO
MARY ANN BAMBERGER
Main Library, MC-234
Chicago, IL 60680
THE SPECIAL COLLECTIONS Department of the University of Illinois at Chicago holds a rich array of materials for Illinois and especially Chicago history. Established in 1965, the department preserves close to four hundred manuscript collections dealing with the Chicago metropolitan area. Containing also the university archives and special and rare book collections, much of which relate to Chicago, the department provides the resources for countless studies of the city.
The holdings of the University Archives document not only the present institution but also its predecessor, the Chicago Undergraduate Division of the University of Illinois, which began on Navy Pier in 1946. The University of Illinois at Chicago Circle opened in 1965 at Harrison and Halsted streets, and in 1982 Chicago Circle and the Health Sciences Center combined to form the University of Illinois at Chicago. With this merger, the archival programs of the two campuses became one.
Holdings are partly accessible through a mimeographed "Guide to the Manuscript Collections." This compendium, describing processed collections and