60 W. Walton St.
Chicago, IL 60610
THE NEWBERRY LIBRARY is an independent research center located on Chicago's Near North Side. Founded on a generous endowment provided for in the will of Walter Loomis Newberry, a Chicago businessman, the library marked its centennial in 1987. Its collections support the study of the humanities in Western Europe and the Americas. Although the history of Illinois is not a subject specialty per se, a surprising amount of pertinent material can be found within the larger collecting interests of the library.
The Newberry's present building, first occupied in 1893, was entirely remodeled after the construction of an adjoining bookstack building in 1982. The Department of Special Collections, now located on the fourth floor, is responsible for the library's manuscript holdings, inventories and card catalogs for which are kept in the Reference and Bibliographical Center on the third floor. Many of the collections are described in the Newberry Library Bulletin ( 1944-79) and in A Newberry Newsletter (since 1973).
The massive subject-oriented collections of the Newberry contain certain manuscripts relating to Illinois history, some of which are described in Ruth Lapham Butler , comp., A Check List of Manuscripts in the Edward E. AyerCollection