IN 1784, when Colonel George Woods of Bedford, with a surveyor's rod that by some oversight was too long by an eighth of an inch in ten feet, laid out the familiar plan of the Triangle for the Penns, he was so accommodating as to make Market Street only forty feet wide instead of sixty because the owners of the log cabins that extended out over the proposed thorough- fare begged him to save their property. Supremely unconscious of the traffic problems he was posing for future generations, Woods continued John Campbell's plan of 1764 to Grant Street, then laid out Liberty and Penn Avenues parallel to the Allegheny and at acute angles to the streets that were parallel to the Monongahela. A public square, the Diamond, was laid out on Market Street not far from Liberty and near this place the civic life of Pittsburgh was destined to center for nearly half a century. The streets close to the Monongahela were given the names that, with a few exceptions, they still bear; Grant Street was named for Major James Grant, Smithfield for Devereux Smith, and Wood for the surveyor. The streets at right angles to the Allegheny, now distinguished by a hodgepodge of modern names or numbers, were in order, Marbury, Hay, Pitt, St. Clair, Irwin, Hand, Wayne, and Washington.