* A New English Dictionary on Historical Principles, ed. Sir J. A. H. Murray , H. Bradley, W. A. Craigie, C. T. Onions, Oxford 1888 1928 [quoted as N.E.D.].
* Stratmann, F. A. A Middle English Dictionary, new edn. by H. Bradley, Oxford 1891.
* Brown, Carleton, and Robbins, Rossell H. The Index of Middle English Verse, New York 1943 ( The Index Society).
* Hammond, Miss E. P. Chaucer: A Bibliographical Manual, New York 1908.
Kennedy, G. K. A Bibliography of Writings on the English Language, Cambridge and New Haven 1927.
* Wells, J. E. A Manual of Writings in Middle English, 1050- 1400, New Haven 1916; Supplements, 1919, 1923, 1926, etc.
Chambers, E. K. The Mediaeval Stage, 2 vols., Oxford 1903.
Clark, J. W. The Care of Books, Cambridge ( new edn.) 1909.
Ker, W. P. English Literature, Mediaeval, London 1912.
Legouis, E. Chaucer (transl. L. Lailavoix), London 1913.
Lowes, J. L. Geoffrey Chaucer, London 1934.
Rashdall, H. The Universities of Europe in the Middle Ages, 2nd edition by F. M. Powicke and A. B. Emden, 3 vols., Oxford 1936.
* Dugdale, Sir William, Monasticon Anglicanum, new edn. by Caley, Ellis and Bandinel, 6 vols., London 1846. [Gives detailed histories of the English religious houses.]
Knowles, D., The Religious Orders in England, Cambridge 1950- 5.
Pantin, W. A., The English Church in the Fourteenth Century, Cambridge 1955.____________________