The Queen's letters to her daughter, the Crown Princess of Prussia, later Empress, are kept, bound in some sixty blue volumes, at Friedrichshof, the house near Frankfurt which the Empress built and named in honour of her husband. They are the property of the Kurhessische Hausstiftung. The copyright, as all Queen Victoria's letters, belongs to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Selections from these letters, about a third of them, were skilfully edited by Sir Roger Fulford and published in five volumes by Evans Brothers (later Bell & Hyman) between 1964 and 1981. A sixth volume, edited by Agatha Ramm, was published in 1990 by Alan Sutton.
The Queen's letters to King Leopold are to be found in the earlier of the nine volumes of The Letters of Queen Victoria: A Selection from Her Majesty's Correspondence, published in three series of three volumes each by John Murray between 1907 and 1932. The first series of these letters was edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Esher, and the second and third series by George Earle Buckle. They contain some two million words, both from the Queen's letters and her journals, extending over five thousand pages; and even so they represent but a small proportion of the papers which the Queen methodically collected and had bound for preservation in the Royal Archives at Windsor.
Regrettably, not all of the Queen's papers survived intact. For, in fulfilment of a charge imposed upon her by her mother, Princess Beatrice transcribed passages from the journals and burned the originals when she had finished with them. She often, in fact, went further than this, destroying whole entries which she thought unsuitable for transcription and substantially altering numerous passages which she did transcribe. But fortunately, unknown to her, Lord Esher made a copy of the earlier journals so that from the time they were begun in 1832 to the death of the Prince Consort in 1861 a complete typed version of them does exist.