Perils of Everyday Life
SNAKE IN THE STOMACH.A correspondent of the Bunker Hill Aurora states that James Oliver of South Reading, on Friday last ejected from his stomach a live snake, one foot and four inches in length, which was probably swallowed many years ago. Mr. Oliver has been for several years subjected to fits.
-- Boston Evening Transcript, 4 August 1846, 2/4
The Gentlemen who left a small package at a dwelling house in this city, last evening, are informed that they have been discovered, and the writer is only withheld from publishing their names by a feeling of respect for their friends.
-- Boston Evening Transcript, 30 April 1844, 2/4
CULPABLE CARELESSNESS.A few evenings since, as some boys were amusing themselves by shooting cats in the rear of a house at the south end, the pistol was slightly elevated, and the ball went through a fence into a dwelling- house, and dropped on the floor immediately in front of a lady whose life would probably have been taken if the ball had not spent its force before reaching the spot. Although no damage was done in this instance, yet it is a dangerous practice to use fire-arms for any purpose in the vicinity of dwelling houses. [Journal.]
-- Boston Evening Transcript, 12 April 1854, 1/5
FIRE.The alarm of fire at 8 o'clock last evening was occasioned by the burning of a window curtain in a house near the Roxbury line. The whole department turned out promptly, but the curtain, nevertheless, was destroyed. It was valued at 3 8 cents, and was not insured. [Courier].
-- Boston Evening Transcript, 9 April 1856, 1/4