A VISIBLE CHURCH IN AN INVISIBLE TOWN
LOOKING at a map of Lower Michigan, one will see it is shaped like a mitten on the left hand, with a distinctly marked Thumb. The Thumb-Nail is Huron County, the county town being Bad Axe, and the old railroad terminus being Grindstone; the nearness of the two places inspiring obvious pleasantries. Four miles east of Grindstone is Huron City, once a fairly large and prosperous lumbering village, and now so small that strangers drive through it without seeing it. Many have motored on ten miles in the vain endeavour to find it.
Seventy-five years ago pioneers from Connecticut were very busy there; as payment for making roads in the interior and building long piers into Lake Huron, they received grants of forest lands from the Federal Government. The entire Thumb was covered with superb pine trees, standing like columns in a vast cathedral. The founders of Huron City felled the tall timber, floated the logs down Willow Creek, sawed them in the Huron City sawmills, and loaded the boards on steamers at the Huron City Dock. Then came the devastating forest fire of 1871, which began on the same day as the Chicago conflagration. The prosperous town of Huron City was erased, and the lumbering business received a mortal blow. Still, the hardy men rebuilt the town and carried on as best they could. But the second forest fire of 1881 took the pine trees that were left, and everything in Huron City with them. Once more Huron City was rebuilt; but it soon became clear