QUEBEC IN 1634. -- FATHER LE JEUNE. -- THE MISSION-HOUSE: ITS DOMESTIC ECONOMY. -- THE JESUITS AND THEIR DESIGNS.
OPPOSITE Quebec lies the tongue of land called Point Levi. One who in the summer of the year 1634 stood on its margin and looked northward, across the St. Lawrence, would have seen, at the distance of a mile or more, a range of lofty cliffs, rising on the left into the bold heights of Cape Diamond, and on the right sinking abruptly to the bed of the tributary river St. Charles. Beneath these cliffs, at the brink of the St. Lawrence, he would have descried a cluster of warehouses, sheds, and wooden tenements. Immediately above, along the verge of the precipice, he could have traced the outlines of a fortified work, with a flagstaff, and a few small cannon to command the river; while, at the only point where Nature had made the heights accessible, a zigzag path connected the warehouses and the fort.
Now, embarked in the canoe of some Montagnais Indian, let him cross the St. Lawrence, land at the