The Woman's Column, 1888-1904 Extending the Suffrage Community
Marsha L. Vanderford
". . . a printed slip made up from our Notes & News Concerning Women"
On 28 May 1882, Alice Stone Blackwell wrote to her cousin Kitty Barry, describing one of many prowoman suffrage projects devised by her father, Henry Blackwell: "Papa has struck out another brilliant idea. He wrote a letter in mother's name and sent it to almost every newspaper in New England, offering to furnish them weekly with a column of news-items about women, if they would publish it. Between 100 and 200 papers have accepted the offer, including some influential weeklies; so we get out the column weekly--a printed slip made up from our Notes & News Concerning Women--and have it sent to them."1 The news column was one of many strategies to promote woman's rights that was implemented by the Blackwell family, whose efforts spanned the protracted campaign that culminated in the Nineteenth Amendment to the Constitution. Six years later, the mailing was formalized into a weekly four-page subscription journal called the Woman's Column sponsored by the American Woman Suffrage Association (AWSA).2
The Column was considered a supplement to the Woman's Journal, the official organ of the AWSA.3 In this capacity, the Column reflected the liberal wing of the woman suffrage campaign, which dominated the movement at the end of the nineteenth century. Lib-