MORRISANIA -- WESTCHESTER HEIGHTS --
WILLIAMSBRIDGE -- WOODLAWN -- EDEN
WALD -- BAYCHESTER
Area: Webster Ave. on the west to Westchester Ave. and Hutchinson River on the east; from Harlem River and Bronx Kill north to the city line.
Principal highways: Boston Rd., Southern Blvd., and White Plains Rd.
Transportation: IRT White Plains Rd. subway, E. 149th to E. 241st St. stations; IRT 180th St.-Bronx Park subway, E. 149th to E. 180th St. stations; Third Ave. el, E. 143d to E. 241st St. stations; Second Ave. el, E. 143d to E. 180th St. stations.
THE patchwork of the Middle Bronx comprises neighborhoods disparate in historical development and in contemporary character. The southern part is a blighted industrial and tenement area; the central, Bronx Park vicinity, an apartment house district of predominantly Jewish workers and small businessmen; and the northern section, a composite of middle-class suburban communities and desolate marshland.
MORRISANIA, an old and neglected section of the Bronx, is part of the former township of the same name. Seen in the evening from Teller Avenue, it presents some of the contours that must have recommended it to the Morris family as a site for their manors. Street lamps and lighted windows distinguish the hills and valleys that are obscured in the day by tenements and apartment houses.
The name Morrisania is now generally given to the region centering around Third Avenue and 161st Street. The population is predominantly Jewish, mixed with Irish, Italian, and German.
Lewis Morris, first owner of the property, died in 1691. In his will he attempted to cut off the inheritance of his nephew, Lewis Morris II, giving the younger man's "adhering and advizeing with those of bad life and conversation," as his reasons. The attempt failed and the nephew became first lord of the manor. His grandson, the fourth Lewis Morris, was a signer of the Declaration of Independence.