NEW BRIGHTON -- WEST NEW BRIGHTON -- PORT RICHMOND -- MARINERS HARBOR -- TRAVIS
Area: Kill van Kull on the north to Fresh Kills and Richmond Creek on the south; from Arthur Kill east to La Tourette Park, Manor Rd. (Rockland Ave. to Victory Blvd.), and Victory Blvd. (Manor Rd. to Bay St.) Principal highways: Richmond Terrace, Forest Ave., and Victory Blvd. Transportation: Bus and Staten Island Rapid Transit from St. George.
THE north shore of Staten Island is a heavily populated residential area extending inland from the industrial establishments that fringe the narrow Kill van Kull. The western section, save for the neighborhoods of Mariners Harbor and Travis, is largely a stretch of meadowland, dotted with a few truck farms.
NEW BRIGHTON, west of St. George between Westervelt and Davis Avenues, formerly one of the most fashionable summer resorts in the East, is now a quiet residential community. A few stately mansions, some of them abandoned, provide a link with the years of the nineteenth century when southern planters and wealthy New Yorkers patronized the elegant hotels and villas of the neighborhood. Richmond Terrace, a fashionable drive in the 1890's, is now lined with a disheartening row of small stores, beer gardens, factories and shipyards facing the Kill van Kull and the equally desolate shore of near-by New Jersey.
1. The NEVILLE HOUSE, 806 Richmond Terrace, between Clinton and Tysen Streets, said to have been built in 1770, is one of the best-preserved of Staten Island houses. The two-story stone building was formerly the home of Captain John Neville, whose activities, after his retirement from the U.S. Navy, caused the place to be known as "The Stone Jug." In the early 1900's it was used as a tavern and hotel. The bar became too great an attraction to the inmates of Sailors' Snug Harbor, so the Harbor purchased and closed the place.