|Railroad Station: Pennsylvania Station, Broad and High Sts., for Pennsylvania R.R.|
|Bus Stations: Broad and High Sts. for Safeway Trailways; 437 High St. for Public Service.|
|Taxis: 250 and up according to distance and number of passengers.|
|Pier: Town Wharf, N. end High St., ferry to Bristol, Pa., 10¢ for passengers, no automobiles.|
|Bridge: N. end Reed St. for pedestrians (10¢), N. end Keim Blvd. for automobiles (350) to Bristol, Pa.|
|Traffic Regulations: One-way traffic on Broad St. on each side of railroad track.|
|Accommodations: Small hotels and tourist houses.|
|Information Service : Post Office, SW. cot. Broad St. and Locust Ave.|
|Motion Picture Houses: One.|
|Swimming: Sylvan Lakes, 1.3 m. S. on Mount Holly Rd.; Delaware River, N. of city.|
The identifying mark of BURLINGTON (20 alt., 10,844 pop.) is the single track of the Pennsylvania Railroad that runs through the center of the main street without benefit of curb or fence. In many other respects Burlington seems to have changed little from its eighteenth century character as capital of the Province of West New Jersey. A flourishing maritime center in the early years, Burlington has since been outstripped industrially and commercially by Trenton and Camden. But the town still serves as an outlet and marketing center for the rich agricultural region inland, and it has some industrial importance.
No entrance to Burlington reveals the sequestered charm that is part of the community. The State highway bypasses the town, but a number of roads from north, east, and south cross the adjacent flatlands and tap the business center on Broad Street. Another approach is from Pennsylvania, by way of Bristol Bridge across Delaware River. All of these roads lead past assorted factories and monotonously plain dwellings.
Broad Street deserves its name. There is plenty of room for the leisurely trains of the Pennsylvania and for the long narrow wooden station, like a corncrib, in the heart of the business district. Since 1834 locomotives and trains have operated on Broad Street and for the same length of time the citizens have complained about them. In . 1926 the city council ordered removal of the track, but the only progress to date has been restriction of train speeds to 6 miles an hour and a regulation for blowing the whistle.
Many of the business buildings are the old homes of Quakers, modified for offices or stores. Much of their original simplicity of line and material has been retained.
The Colonial portion of Burlington, little changed during the last cen-