contract no. MDA 903-83-C-0027, and by a grant from the Systems Development Foundation.
1. Thompson, D'Arcy, ( 1942) On Growth and Form, 2d Ed. Cambridge, England: The University Press.
2. Stevens, Peter S., ( 1974) Patterns in Nature. Boston: Atlantic-Little, Brown Books.
3. Rosch, E., ( 1973) On the internal structure of perceptual and semantic categories. In Cognitive Development and the Acquisition of Language, Moore, T. E. (Ed.). New York: Academic Press.
4. Wertheimer, M., ( 1923) Laws of organization in perceptual forms. In A Source Book of Gestalt Psychology, W. D. Ellis (Ed.). New York: Harcourt Brace.
5. Johansson, G., ( 1950) Configurations in Event Perception. Stockholm: Almqvist and Wiksell.
6. Marr, D., and Nishihara, K., ( 1978) Representation and recognition of the spatial organization of three-dimensional shapes. Proceedings of the Royal Society-London B, 200:269-94.
7. Nishihara, H. K., ( 1981) Intensity, visible-surface and volumetric representations. Artificial Intelligence, 17, 265-284.
8. Binford, T. O., ( 1971) Visual perception by computer. Proceeding of the IEEE Conference on Systems and Control, Miami, December.
9. Gibson, J. J., ( 1979) The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
10. Marr, D. ( 1982) Vision. San Francisco: W. H. Freeman.
11. Agin, G. J., and Binford, T. O., ( 1976) Computer descriptions of curved objects. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, C-25, 4, 439-449.
12. Nevatia, R., and Binford, T. O., ( 1977) Description and recognition of curved objects. Artificial Intelligence, 8, 1, 77-98.
13. Badler, N. and Bajcsy, R., ( 1978) Three-dimensional representations for computer graphics and computer vision. Computer Graphics, 12, 153-160.
14. Brady, J. M., ( 1982) Describing visible surfaces. In Computer Vision Systems, Hanson, A. and Riesman, E. (Eds.). New York: Academic Press.
15. Brooks, R., ( 1985) Model based 3-D interpretation of 2-D images. In From Pixels to Predicates, pp. 300-322. Pentland, A. (Ed.). Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
16. Bolles, B., and Haroud, R., ( 1985) 3DPO: An inspection system. In From Pixels to Predicates, pp. 359-371. Pentland, A. (Ed.). Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
17. Barrow, H. G., and Tenenbaum, J. M., ( 1978) Recovering intrinsic scene characteristics from images. In Computer Vision Systems, Hanson, A. and Riseman, E. (Eds.). New York: Academic Press.
18. Pentland, A. ( 1984) Local analysis of the image. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Recognition, 6, 2, 170-187.
19. Witkin, A. P., and Tenenbaum, J. M., ( 1985) On perceptual organization. In From Pixels to Predicates, pp. 149-169. Pentland, A. (Ed.). Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
20. Pentland, A., and Witkin, A., ( 1984) "On Perceptual Organization." Second Conference on Perceptual Organization, Pajaro Dunes, CA, June 12-15.
21. Smith, A. R., ( 1984) Plants, fractals and formal languages. In Computer Graphics, 18, ( 3), 1-11.
22. Mandelbrot, B. B., ( 1982) The Fractal Geometry of Nature. San Francisco: W. H. Freeman.